Need help with understanding racing road bikes

Max

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your cool videos, I always enjoy them very much. In some of your videos you are saying that race bikes are only for races and if you don't race then this is not the bike for you. Now I'm in doubt since I'm dreaming about road bike and in local store we have cannondale bikes with good prices. They sell CAAD12 105 for 1350usd and this is the price I can afford, but this is the race bike. They also have SYNAPSE Carbon 105 for 1850usd which is a bit pricey. Considering that I'm not planning to race nor ride 100km+ rides what do you think I should select? I'm currently riding mtb only, swift in off season. My rides are not long - 20-30km few times a week. I'm worried that race bike will be uncomfortable to ride and caad12 will be just a waste of money. Please help with your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Max

• Administrators

Yo Max,

the Cannondale CAAD12 is VERY comfy in terms of compliance, but yes, it's got a racing geometry. If you don't have any problems with flexibility, it can still be good for you. Just don't cut hte steerer of the fork and perhaps use shorter, or higher stem. 20-30 km rides can feel great on this bike.

Hi Danny,

I was watching your old videos about CAAD10 and shifting issues/performance. Is it still valid for 105 or was it chain which was installed incorrectly (or some other misconfigurations)?

Thanks a lot :).

• 1 month later...

After long hours of reading, thinking and researching I finally made my decision. Here is my caad12 105 :) (I like this color scheme)

IMG_3164.jpg

Edited by Max
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Cool bike! Very well designed frame! How is the position? OK for your 20-30 km rides. You're gonna be riding more now, you'll see :)

• Like 1

I really enjoy riding it :). I have full suspension trail bike and I used to ride local bike lane on it which was not fun at all comparing to a road bike. As for position I think that stem is too long for me, but it's better to have a bike fit (or something similar) first instead of buying a shorter stem. Also the stock saddle is not comfy so I will change it to Specialized power saddle (have one on another bike). Now I put this bike on a trainer for winter :). Really happy with it :).

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 10/19/2018 at 4:59 AM, Max said:

After long hours of reading, thinking and researching I finally made my decision. Here is my caad12 105 :) (I like this color scheme)

IMG_3164.jpg

loving your bike color combination:)