Strong bicycle light - how many lumens you REALLY need.

SickBiker

• Administrators

When cyclists are searching for bicycle lights, I'm often being asked a popular question: "How many lumens per dollar?". Well, in the video below, I will show you, that you don't necessary need as many lumens, as possible. You'll also see, that your bike light can be even too strong!

• 1 year later...

during my summer trip 2020 (650km);
I used for the front:
two Decathlon FORCLAZ TREK 500 (20 euros each, each 200 lumens),
one on my bike and one on my head.
I used for the rear :
 two Decathlon VELO CL 900 (20 euros each, each 17 lumens when blinking.
I had also 1 spare for front and rear.

It was a success.

https://www.decathlon.be/fr/p/lampe-frontale-de-trekking-rechargeable-trek-500-usb-noire-200-lumens/_/R-p-168701
https://www.decathlon.be/fr/p/eclairage-led-pour-velo-cl-900-avant-arriere-usb-vioo/_/R-p-168732?mc=8487105&c=GRIS#zoom=opened

Edited by stoz

• 1 year later...

Wow, I didn't think for a second that I could make the lumens from my bike even stronger. Thank you a lot for this informative video. I would have avoided a minor incident on my last bike ride if I had discovered it before. On Saturday, I started riding through the forest on the way to the mountains. Because it was getting dark and I didn't have strong lights on my bike, I hit a rock, and respectively the bicycle was deformed. My rescue was sundaysinsurance.com insurance cause my bike was repaired without additional costs.

Edited by Weila

• 7 months later...
Spencer Torphy

I've always wondered how bright bike lights should be? What is the proper lighting for the safest ride on the road? Thank you for this detailed guide. I think I have could prepare the right lights, the right way for a safe trip now.

Edited by Spencer Torphy