Garmin Edge 530 - new Bike Navigation For 2019.

SickBiker

• Administrators

Garmin Edge 530 - more, than bike computer...

Garmin just launched a new bicycle navigation / computer - the Edge 530. It is a more advanced and much faster device, that has to offer way more, than you need... Let's look at some of the new features.

Bike navi:

• routable Garmin Cycle Map with popularity routing ( you can follow the courses, that many cyclist in the area enjoy),
  • turn - by - turn navigation (just like on Garmin Edge 520 plus, you'll see instructions on the screen, that will lead you to the track you downloaded, or some marked place, you can't though put an address, to be guided to),
  • Trailforks app, which is a data base for many trails on 80 countries,
  • ClimbPro feature automatically shows the remaining ascent and grade when you’re climbing while following a route or course.

If you remember, the Edge 520 plus came with more advanced navi features, than Edge 520, and the 530 adds quite a view new features to it. The most important one for me though is the new, faster processor, which allows the device to calculate the routes much better.

R_edge530_HR_1000.3.jpgR_edge530_HR_1000.5.jpgR_edge530_HR_1000.9.jpg

Training computer and more:

• more advanced training features, like:  heat and altitude acclimation, in-ride notifications when it’s time to hydrate or eat, See if your most recent training was balanced in terms of endurance, threshold and high-intensity efforts - this means much more, than a 15 minutes reminder on the screen, saying "drink",
  • paired with compatible sensors, Edge 530 now displays your power curve, comparing your ride effort to your previous weeks and months,
  • new mountain biking metrics such as jump count, jump distance and hang time,
  • Grit, which rates the difficulty of a ride using GPS, elevation and accelerometer data,
  • Flow, which measures how smoothly you descend a trail so you have a score to beat next time.

I remember myself, dreaming with my riding bodies: "if only the computers could measure and compare the laps automatically". Now they can. Or "if we could see on the screen, how well we're doing, comparing to the previous record". Now it's a must ;) But we never, ever dreamed of an "air time" calculation...

R_edge530_HR_1001.1.jpgR_edge530_HR_1001.2.jpgR_edge530_HR_1001.4.jpgR_edge530_HR_1002.6.jpgR_edge530_HR_1002.7.jpg

I'm not sure now, whether the Garmin Edge 530 is more of a bike navigation, than a bike computer, but I think, that it pretty much does anything you'll ask for. And one more question - would I replace the older Edge 520 with the Edge 530 now? Nope. The 520 does everything I need, but I'm amazed with the tech of 2019, available for cyclists :) What about you guys?