Why Alloy Cannondale Synapse Can Be Better Than Carbon One...

SickBiker

• Administrators

Endurance bikes got very popular lately. I love them to, as they are so comfortable and still very fast road bikes. Cannondale Synapse is one of the first REAL endurance bikes on the market. I've had a couple of these, mostly aluminum ones and here's why I would think twice, before buying a carbon version...

Cannondale Synapse 2019 - Alloy vs. Carbon

things to consider, when buying alloy or carbon endurance road bike:

1. Comfort on an endurance bike comes mostly from wider tires. The Synapse can accommodate same 32c tires on alloy and carbon frameset.
  2. Alloy and carbon frameset might come with carbon seatpost, which is the second thing, providing better road buzz absorption. Cannondale Synapse comes with super slim 25,4 mm seatpost on alloy and carbon version, so the flex in this area will be similar.
  3. The Alloy Synapse features the micro suspension SAVE system, just like the carbon one. The aluminum frame won't flex as much, as the carbon one, but it is based on the same flexing areas, like the rear stays, the seatpost with the seat tube and the fork. The Alloy Synapse also has the full carbon fork.
  4. The alloy Cannondale Synapse is so much cheaper, than the carbon one, that you can easily upgrade it with comfy carbon wheels and still spend less money.

What was or would be your choice guys?

• 1 month later...

What would my choice be?

A HiMod Synapse off of [eBay]. 

I eventually found a NOS 2018 Cannondale Synapse HM with eTap and a pair of 404 New Speed Weapons.  

Bike hadn't even been ridden.  

$4,189 to my door.  

After adding the Zipp SC-SL Stem and SC-SL bars, and eTap blips, someone paid ~$10,500 for this bike, PLUS TAX.  

All it took was patience.   Lots of patience. 

• Like 1